Saturday, December 12, 2009

Much Ado About Nothing

Overall I thought the play was enjoyable. There were many aspects of the play that they portrayed differently than I had imagined. Obviously the biggest difference was the change of setting to Mexico. I didn't find it distracting but found it rather creative. In the beginning I was aware every time they said spanish words but as the play moved on I didn't even notice it, kind of like subtitles in a foreign film.

Of all the characters, I liked Benedict the most. With a combination of his mannerisms and his plain ability to act, he definately shinned out the most. In my mind, he was the most like I imagined. He definately played the role as the comedian and got me laughing a few times. Benedict's dialogue flow was also very impressive. He seemed to be the most able to keep up with his script.

Like others have said, I also felt Beatrice did very well. For whatever reason, I felt that her and Benedict had great stage chemistry. I almost feel like they mirror eachother, not in their individual characters sense, but also in each person's ability to perform. I think they were both equally yoked in talent. When I read the book, Beatrice was my favorite. The Beatrice in the play, though played well, didn't however reach the expectation that I was expecting. Then again, competing with someone's imagination is difficult so I don't hold it against her.

I wasn't impressed with Claudio's performance. He did alright, but I couldn't help compare my him to Benedict and Beatrice who I thought did well. I thought his tempo, like that of Don John, didn't fit the characters from the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment