Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Reviews on Much Ado and Touchstones Poetry

I have not been to a play in about a year. Going to "Much Ado About Nothing" refreshed my thoughts that the theater is an awesome place to spend an evening. I love the high energy that abounds, not only in the actors, but through the audience as well. There isn't a way, at least for me, not to be affected by the in you face talent. I thoroughly enjoyed going to a play and I have promised myself to go to more plays,concerts, etc.
Even though I enjoyed the night of theater, I had mixed emotions about their version of the play. This particular play has been one of my all time favorites of Shakespeare, so I feel a little protective. I have to keep reminding myself that Shakespeare didn't write it just for me,but for everyone, so I should expect it to be able to shift and absorb other people and their ideas. I did think that having Leonata as Hero's' mother worked well, because I think a motherly protection and a Fatherly protection can run on an equal length. I also thought it was interesting that Don Johns character was changed to a women, it gave it a more triangle approach to the play, even though I still like the idea of a bastard brother rather than a bitchy sister. I also had blah feelings about the Dogberry character being played by a women, for some reason I think it comes off as more real when a man plays an "ass" than when a women plays a "burrow". The character I had the most problems with, was whoever was playing Hero. In the wedding scene when Claudio is creating shock and dismay for everyone else on the set Hero is staring at him like he is a salesman lecturing her at a insurance seminar. I don't mean to be critical...never mind, I think my whole review is critical. I think I'm just grouchy because my brain hurts from all my finals. Truth be told, I think overall the play was well done. Benedick didn't miss a beat, even when some kid fell off her chair onto the set. I also liked the few minutes of talk back, especially when someone mentioned about how the Spanish words set off the metric balance of the play. My question is can a Shakespeare play smell as sweet when his words are changed? For me there might be some perfume to it, it just won't smell as unique.
It is too bad for the people who didn't come to the Touchstones poetry reading. For one thing there was food served! For another there was poetry read! Maybe it's my mood today, but I had mixed feeling about the poetry reading as well. Some read a little fast for my taste, as if they were shy about their creations. In my opinion poetry should be read like it's written. If a poem is soft and calming it should be read that way; if it is strong and shocking then they should read it to us with strength and passion. I had to read most of the poems they read over again to even get a glimpse of what they were trying to get across with their poems. My favorite poet was the one who memorised his poem, it was also my favorite poem of the group I don't have the book with me, but I think it was called "Splinters of the Jawbones Daughter" I felt it was one of those poems we discussed in class that had multi -levels of meaning. The short stories were read a little better than the poems were. I must admit there is lot of talented people here at UVU and I'm actually really proud that we have the Touchstone program, I think it is great, because it searches out for those who have something to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment