Friday, November 27, 2009

Building A Bridge To Do

I have been really interested in learning about poetry. I have always loved poetry, although I have not always understood it. When I read poetry I feel the need to be emotionally involved and attached.  I struggled a little with these last poems interpreting their meaning. It was hard to become emotionally involved when I am not exactly sure what I am reading. I did love in the poem "The Bridge" the lines that say "To throw himself into threat roiling water and test the reality of his arms and lungs" I really loved these lines. They are filled with such emotion. The instinct to help others who are in need. 
It kind of goes in the opposite direction of Waiting for Godot. Something had to be done in "The Bridge" and it was accomplished unlike in the play where the two main characters stood around waiting for life to come. I wonder if Vladimir or his pal would have forgotten the reality of their arms and lungs and gone after to face the threat of the roiling waters. It makes me sad to think they probably would have done nothing. I am thankful this character in "The Bridge" forgot about himself and completely focused on helping others. 

2 comments:

  1. I liked what you said about the poem going the opposite of “Waiting for Godot” because I too felt this poem was very action oriented. I think this moves us in different ways, and like “Waiting for Godot” it moves us to ask questions about what action does for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To throw himself into threat roiling water and test the reality of his arms and lungs"
    I would have to say that this is probably my favorite part of the poem. It is filled up to the brim with emotion. When I read it I thought of how in order for us to really live our lives and experience them we have to be courageous enough to jump into the roiling water of reality. I think that is one of the reasons Waiting for Godot is so sad. They never do anything more than wait for life to come to them. They do not understand that there is a whole big world out there. Discovering it comes with its risk but even more than that it comes with its rich rewards.

    ReplyDelete