Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How to use words

Throughout this reading I was intrigued by the feelings that poets place on their words. There are many quotes from different poets about how they feel about the importance of words and words themselves. In response to this I actually looked at the poems that I read in a different light then I would usually. In the poem "anyone lived in a pretty how town" I was struck by the way E.E. Cummings used the words. He takes the words from out of the ordinary and puts a whole new spin on them. For example I like the line that says Women and men (both little and small) because it uses two words that pretty much have the same denotation but are used in a way were their connotation is completely different. He also uses similar phrases throughout the poem, phrases which are usually cliche, but reverses the words and adds others to them. I really enjoyed the step out of the ordinary and interaction that this poem had for me. It wasn't just about the poem it was about the words as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment