Monday, November 9, 2009

Thoughts From the Brain of Mallory

I read "anyone lived in a pretty how town" too fast and ended up very confused. I had to reread it several slower times to get the jist of the poem. I don't claim to completely understand this poem at all. But still I was able to get a few pearls from it. The pretty how town is just society in general. Anyone is a person who has flourished in life despite what societies view of him is. He understands and loves himself and that is good enough for him. I love the line, "he sang his didn't he danced his did" I think it describes that he was aware of all the different directions he could have gone in life but was still satisfied with the way had his life had played out. Even though noone seems to be a person I don't think she is. I think noone is a representation of anyone's love for himself. The town just goes about the rhythms of life. They never seem to progress. Some of the children get a glimpse of the kind of life anyone enjoys but as they grow older they forget. Then they become like their parents and reap their sowing. Which just starts over the cycle. In general I would say that E.E. Cummings was trying to say that most of the world just goes through the rhythms of life never really living. They never really see anyone. They just go through the motions and "care for anyone not at all".

No comments:

Post a Comment