Thursday, November 12, 2009

Nothing in Everything

I'm not big on winter, I'm more of a palm tree kind of girl, yet when I was reading " The Snow Man" I have to admit chills ran down my back. Not that the poem made me chilly in a cold sense, but I have had those moments in the midst of new fallen snow where I feel like I'm in a whole new world. Usually I get this feeling when its dark outside,but it doesn't seem dark because the whiteness of the snow. I have also notice how quiet it gets, which is why I was surprised Wallace Stevens talk so much on sound "which is the sound of the land" " In the sound of a few leaves" " Of any misery in the sound of the wind" I think this intertwines with him talking about listening. I think when trying to create any kind of symbolism you have to be in tune with your environment and what its saying to you. That even if your environment is a blank wall or blank sheet of paper or a ," Nothing that is not there" You can still create symbolism,because it is in everything, even the nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment