Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Snow Man

This poem didn't make a lot of sense to me until I read the prompt on how its a symbol poem symbolizing our need to well...symbolize. I think the first couple stanzas about having a "mind of winter" might be talking about how one has to be in a particular mind frame to find meaning in what otherwise is quite meaningless. We can think of snow as frozen water vapor falling to earth in soft crystalline flakes but most of us choose snow to represent the ending of something and the start of something else. When I think of snow, I think of Christmas and how it's beginning to look a lot like it everywhere I go. And I like that. The very last stanza I may be wrong in interpreting but to me it seems like the point is maybe it is silly to create meaning in everyday things, but without it the world is dry and boring. Why look at something if it simply is what it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment