Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sweet Hope in Death, "Planting a Sequoia"

My interpretation of "Planting a Sequoia", I in-visioning a death of a young child(childhood). That might be because the second stanza talks about a father and his planting of a tree to celebrate his sons birth. And how that young tree will grow to be a beauty among the earth. I also feel the longing of someone who has died in the story, and how the family morns for them and wishes they could have life's moment together with the deceased.
Also when I read the part about the planting of the sequoia with the hair and birth cord I got this overwhelming sense that it was a memorial, or tribute to the deceased child(or child hood). The last two lines really struck me. They have a sad, silent hope to these word. Hoping for life after death.

I want you to stand among strangers, all young and ephemeral(means to lasting one day only) to you,
Silently keeping the secret of your birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment