Thursday, November 5, 2009

What did I know, What did I know?

I love the sound of the low oo sounds mixed with the crisp consonants. To me it sounds like a cold winter day mixed with the blaze of fire place. Also the lower oo sounds give it a more somber feel while the consonants give quick sharp tones that cut perhaps like the regret and guilt Hayden feels for not appreciating his father. It is so crazy to me that this 14 lined poem can have so much emotion behind those lines.
When Hayden repeats "What did I know" I can almost see him shaking his head while he says this. Those last two lines say a lot. When he was small he had no real understanding of "love's austere and lonely offices" but looking back now it seems as if he has experienced and now knows of the lonely offices. He wishes that he had known all these things before so that he could love appreciate his father more for the little things he did that supposedly went unnoticed by Hayden. It made me think of my own mother and all the things she has done for me. Until this last year I have had no real understanding of the depth of her love for me and all the things that go with it. Looking back now I regret being the awful teenager that I was. What did I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment