Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Words on the Breaks

We've talked about stanza break before in class, and we mentioned the words on those breaks. I just wanted to day how more powerful those words are because they are at the end of a break or the beginning of the break. As I read the poem 'Mirror' I noticed how powerful the words were at the end of the lines. Some of the words that caught my attention were; preconceptions, dislike, cornered, so long, over and over, really is, agitation of hands, darkness, old woman.
I don't know a lot about poetry (that's why I'm taking this class). The way I try to understand it is to read poetry, lots of times, while paying attention to my feelings and reaction to the words and motion of the poem. The words I pointed out above stood out because when I look in a mirror there are all those feelings these words bring to the surface. The line that I like as a whole is "I am not cruel, only turthful--". That is so true weather I want it to be or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment