Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Richard Parker in ALL Stories

The acidic-people-eating island is, to me, the inhumanity of changing into an animal. Loosing all since of human and going full animal like the cook from the second story. (I just wanted to put in my two cents on that.)

The two stories of Pi's 227 days at sea are so similar.One has all the details with an easier way to comprehend it by seeing the facts though the animals lives, and the other is cold hard facts. The hard truth is never pretty, and will never have the adventurous feeling or heart put into it because its more of a list of facts. Its heartless and humans want adventure and grandeur; we are generally disgusted by the true details.

The whole time reading the story it was hard to believe because Pi was so young and lived for so long 'by himself'. BUT after hearing the cold hard 'truth' its more believable." So it goes with God." If we are always looking for the hard fact, we will generally not like what we find. I think that's why the prophets of old taught in parables and stories. Generally people like to hear the truth with out all the gory detail. Also the everyday storytellers don't generally like telling the gory details, because they will turn there audience off.

I agree with the Japanese men, the story with all the animals is a much better story, because its not as realistic. Richard Parker is the animal with in Pi, and they worked together to stay alive. When Pi didn't need his animal instincts to survive, Richard left Pi's mind and his 'human' instincts, that he held so dear, engulfed him again. I think there a little bit of Richard Parker still in Pi, dormant. I think Pi misses that part of himself sometimes. i ask the question to myself upon finishing the book; Is there a bit of Richard Parker in me? I don't know if I want to know the answer to that thought....

No comments:

Post a Comment