Tuesday, October 6, 2009

On! Back! And On Again!

I have felt repetition to be a powerful literary tool that can give power and tension to piece but only when used sparingly. Waiting For Godot's use of repetition is redundant, frustrating, and spins the reader into circles. But I suppose that is what it is meant to do. I cannot honestly say that I have any grasp for what the play meant. But perhaps that is a tool to create tension also. The reader thinks they are hitting some brink of understanding, getting towards the part where everything unfolds only to be called "back!" again. One interesting thing about this play is that is all in the present, all in the "now" there are vague references to the past but none to give you a solid impression of the exposition. There is also no future. The play may reach a climax and have a falling action but if so it is not apparent. Everything is them just waiting, and that is everything and nothing. So I read on, moved forward, got called back, read on, moved forward, got called back read on. And I have not I idea if I got anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment