Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'll do anything to pass the time.

I thought long and hard about this book, and I’m still not sure how I think about it. On one hand, it could easily be dismissed as gibberish, and on the other hand, it could be seen as a true work of art.

More important than my stance to the play, it really brought up questions to me why people do the things they do. Why did Beckett write this, and why did he write it the way he did? He could have easily added an event that would request a resolution. He could have easily placed a more apparent theme. Yet, he didn’t…

I relate this to my own writing; why do I write, and why do I write the way I do?

I concluded that goals in writing come down to personal aesthetics. Beckett wrote “Waiting For Godot”, obviously not to appeal to our senses, but rather to convey an idea or concept. My aesthetic, however, is to appeal to my senses in new and welcoming ways. I choose this aesthetic because I can’t imagine simply enjoying nothing. I can’t bear the idea that the goal isn’t appealing. I can’t bear it, because I am waiting for Godot.

No comments:

Post a Comment