Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Estragon

I’m not going to lie. This wasn’t my number one favorite books. I was grateful for Daniel’s comments about it before about how it really doesn’t make much sense. I think that prepared me for it. The only thing that kept me reading was either the change in characters, like the entering of Pozzo and Lucky (hoping one of them would be Godot, or the little boy). Other than that, I felt like I had to try hard to get to the end.
While reading, I was trying to look for the genius behind the story. ‘If it wasn’t a good book, then Daniel wouldn’t have assigned it’ I would tell myself.
For myself I tend to attach my mind to repetition. Repetition helps me find and understand the symbolism in a story. I’m sure this book is FULL of symbolism, but my mind only wrapped itself over one thing. I felt that Estragon represented a type of person inside all of us. That person tends to forget his/her purpose in life. I began to really notice it in Act II when Estragon would say, “Let’s go!” then Vladimir would have to remind him that they were waiting for Godot. I didn’t count how many times he said it but every time it got clearer and clearer. I can definitely see some of myself in Estragon in this case. The Hecticness of life goes on and on until I feel like a robot, and someone else has to remind me, “Remember, you’re doing this!” I also noticed the repetition behind Estragon telling Vladimir that it would be better if they parted. I think this symbolism applies to many people. How many people are striving to get out of something, some rut, some position or condition, and don’t? They think about it, even mention it to others on occasion, and even though it would be for their betterment, they never buckle down and do it. In class someone mentioned how the Estragon and Vladimir brought each other down. In regards to this idea, I totally agree. Sometimes, we need to back off of our ‘Estragon tendencies’ and just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment