Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pi and the Journey

Many times in this life of mine I have heard that the journey is the thing. Even though there seems to be a lot of evidence to support that your beginning and your end is just as important as your journey. Reading the Life of Pi I can see how all the above is important, but I can't help but agree that the journey of Pi was the thing. The journey I made was with Pi and animals not humans; so that is how I will continue to read it. So there is the question why did Pi tell the story of the animals as people and Ricard Parker as himself ? I have several theories. One of them is that I'm a big fan of obituaries, maybe I'm somewhat morbid but I like seeing what seems to be important factors in a person's life. I also like to see how loved ones try to capsulize their dearly departed in just a few sentences, for many its too hard so they go with a generalized article and stick to the "facts" knowing that its for the public,but sometimes you'll find one that is unique. In my minds eye that is what Pi was trying to do, he was trying capsulate the animals in a unique way because they had meant so much to him. They were the ones that had been with him on his life's journey, and because of that they were just as human as his mother, a cook, a sailor, or himself. Also I think when something is so close to you, so personal, something you can't explain in words you create an alternate idea, even if its worst than than the real story, because then it has some distance, so if there is criticism it won't hurt as much. I think the men from the Japanese transport have our point of view that it doesn't matter which story is true because either way it was a horrific tale. It had just as much blood, grief, and hope whether it was with humans or animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment