Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Am I Lost?

You know how when you want an answer about a problem you have, but you use a hypothetical friend as the subject of the story? That's what I see the boy doing in this scene. The boy wants to know what will happen to him. In a way he's asking the father, 'what's going to happen to me? am I going to ever be OK? am I lost? who will find me?' The Boy knows that his father is going to die soon and he will not have that constant companion with him to teach him. He needs to know what will happen when that life force that hes know his hole life is gone. What will find him when that day comes that he's lost. If you've ever been truly lost in life, whether metaphorically or physically, your concern is to make sure you are OK. Life is uncertain most days, and myself like many, are living day to day with a hope of achieving a long term goal in life. When my day to day routine is interrupted by a tragedy or a problem my world is turned upside down and I am left to figure out how to get back on track.

The boy doesn't want his father to die, and he doesn't want his life to change. That uncertainty is what drives the child inside all of us to ask the questions, 'Do you think he was lost?But who will find him if he's lost? Who will find the little boy?' The reassuring we are looking for when asking comes with the Man's answers,'I think he's all right. Goodness will find the little boy. It always has. It will again.' "You may be lost but you will be found and you will carry the fire always because that is what I taught, and because you are good, and they are watching you."

No comments:

Post a Comment