Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Are your fathers watching?

To me the question, "Do you think that your fathers are watching?" could mean many things. On the one hand, it could be following this motif about god. Is god watching, does he really care what we do down here? Is he keeping record of our actions? Is he weighing us in his ledger? Or is it that god doesn't really care? Does he just look to our hearts to see our intent? Or does he not give a rat's behind about our actions, well-being, or even our existence?

On the other hand, this could be about our earthly fathers where the same questions apply. I have often wondered, as I'm sure all children do, whether my dad really cared about me. Maybe I was just an accident that he's raising for the sole purpose of getting me out of the house as soon as is humanly possible.

"Against what?" Now that is the question of the century. What scale would a god use to judge us on? If we are judged against Jesus Christ, like the Christians believe, then we won't fare to well. If we are judged according to the Koran like the Muslims believe, I doubt I'll do well there either. If the Hindu's are right and Krishna has the final say, who knows, because Krishna is incredibly fickle, and he is extremely unpredictable. Or is it more like being judged against ourselves. Will god look at us and say "You progressed, you tried to better yourself, and for that you will be rewarded." I won't pretend to know.

Then there is the final line. "There is no book and your fathers are dead in the ground." Which could change everything. Is he talking about god? Is he talking about your ancestors? I don't know, and I think that the answer is different for everyone who reads it.

No comments:

Post a Comment