Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A book that says a lot, with a little.

When starting to read The Road I had no real idea of what I was getting into. However within the first few pages I was drawn in by McCarthy's masterful writing skills and prepared to settle down to take the journey it presented. I think the way it is written speaks a lot about what you are supposed to gain from it. It's written in third person, the man did this, the boy did that, but somehow that doesn't make it any less personal for me. It's true you don't see inside the man's head but i think you greatly understand the way he feels. The entire book is written with a tone and emotion that you can feel without it being spelled out word for word. The dialogue is a prime example. The conversations between the man and the boy are fairly simple. But in its simplicity of the words their is a great amount of significance and tension. It reminds me of the chapter "The Man I Killed" in The Things They Carried. Just the bit and pieces dialogue coming from Kiowa to Tim. He doesn't say much but in the little he says you understand clearly what is going on. This way of writing ensures that we as readers are here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment