Monday, September 28, 2009

Alpha Male, Prompt #2

I have really enjoyed reading about Pi's training sessions with Richard Parker. The imagery behind a Indian teenager, almost teasing, but training a huge tiger is pretty fun. That only intensifies when you imagine Pi rocking the boat while blowing his whistle over and over. Clearly this has reference to earlier in the book when he mentions lion trainers at the circus. I'm confident that if he hadn't made mention of it, I wouldn't have believed he could do it. Then, along with that, Martel helps you believe all this craziness because we had just read how knowledgeable Pi really was with animals. Without that in the exposition, it wouldn't have been believable, yet alone enjoyable to read. I think Martel did that very well.
Going along with the symbolism behind the trainer at the circus, I think there is more to Pi being the alpha male over Richard Parker. Through the religious detail in the exposition along with Pi's trails and experiences on the boat, I feel that Pi has also become a alpha male over religion as well. The reasons behind Pi's survival go far deeper than his animal expertise. He survives because of his faith in God. In adding upon this faith, he does not have faith in just one Being, but many! In Pi's eyes he has the most powerful Beings on his side, helping him survive. Before he got on the Tsimtsum, he had developed enough faith to prepare him for his adventure out in the Pacific. Once the ship wrecks, he has faith challenging trails daily preparing him for the next day. I thought chapter 74 showed all of this very well. We learn that even someone as strong as Pi had his doubts. However, despite the trails he always came to the same resolve, "I would go on loving." That is what makes Pi the alpha male. I'm happy that Martel made reference to the circus trainer as a symbol. It definitely helps me better understand Pi and his personal development.

No comments:

Post a Comment