Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thanks to Nam

So I wanted to say this in class, but we ran out of time.
I got the chance on 9/11 to play with my bagpipe band in West Jordan at a TATOO. this is were the military current and past come along with the air force band and the Scottish pipe bands from around Utah come to pay tribute to those fallen in past and current wars and their families.

A relevant side note: For me, and a few other I would imagine, the Vietnam war is something we learn about in high school and have never really had too much to do with that war. Its not widely talked about in some circles were other wars are. I study WWII because I have a direct relationship with it because my great grandfather died. so for me this book, however real or fake, introduced me to a history that I've never embraced before.

While at the TATOO I went over to 4 men, who were in their later years of their lives, and thanked them for their service for my freedoms. The men lite up immediately to see that someone was thanking them for there sacrifice. One man fought in WWII, and the 3 others fought in Vietnam. I'm a very patriotic person, because I've seen some things in my life that made me realize how truly lucky I am to be an American, so as I listen to these men tell me stories about their experience I immediately thought about The Things They Carried. I know many people who serve this country at war and who have served. Many Americans don't appreciate the things these men and women go through to keep us in a safe state of mind and for us to be free to say what we wish about politics and war. Many of the soldiers of Vietnam came home to a country that seemed to reject what they did. As I listen to the voices of these veterans and went through the program of that patriotic day, my heart felt joy for my American freedoms,and ached for those who would never come home.

this book will be something i always carry with me because i don't want to forget there sacrifices and the ugly things they did for me and for their country. that's what i want to say in class but did have the time or the right words.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Heather, for adding this. I'm glad you took the time to share it with us even though you didn't get a chance to say it in class.

    ReplyDelete