Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Life of Pi set I prompts

The first time that I read through chapters 21 and 22 in Life of Pi I did not really understand the meaning of his words. I had to read them over and over again, slowly letting the understanding creep into my mind a little at a time. After many times reviewing and thinking about those words I believe that it has a lot to do with religion, the use of your imagination and the impact those things can have on your life. In Chapter 21 Yann Martel, the author says something that really caught my attention. He talks about how his visits with Pi always leave him feeling the “glum contentment that characterizes” his life. How he refers to his life, though outwardly admitting his contentment, he doesn’t seem to be satisfied with the life he has, the way he is going about it. Martel then realizes what makes such a difference in Pi’s life, which is the imagination and belief of religion. With imagination and religion it allows people to step outside of themselves and see what is around them, never really feeling alone because they do not believe they are alone. It is “an alignment of the universe along moral lines, not intellectual ones.” To me it is the thread that can hold people together in times of dire circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment