Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pi - last

Chapter 92 The Carnivorous Island, to me is the most important chapter of the book. The chapter chronologically comes after a couple key moments in the book. Pi is weak from malnourishment on the verge of death, and ready to give up and die in one chapter. Soon after Richard Parker and Pi kill and eat the Frenchman. The story of the Island to me, while coming after those chapters really is a part of those chapters. Richard Parker himself to me is symbolic of many aspects of Pi throughout the story. An important one being Pi’s savage animal side, his basic instinct for survival. Pi tried to tame it, he doesn’t want to cannibalize the chef, but ultimately that is what has to happen for him to survive. This is one of the main things I saw happening in the Island Story. “I blew into the whistle with all my might… It had the desired effect. Richard Parker braked. I blew a third time, every hair on him was raised, his claws were full out… I feared my defensive wall of whistle blows was about to crumble.” The island is a symbol of his despair, he is on the verge of giving up his human self, his animal side will live on, he has the food and water, but how long before he is no longer himself? That is the carnivorous aspect of the Island, it is man eating literally and figuratively. As Pi says ”How long does it take for a broken spirit to kill a body that has food, water and shelter?” It is through his faith that he finds strength to continue on.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the reference to Pi as the island. I agree with you that he sees many similarities between it and his way of life to that point. Pi is represented throughout the story in the island, by Richard Parker, being transplanted to a new country, even in a way by the Tsimsum sinking. Pi is recognizable in every part of this book.

    ReplyDelete