Thursday, September 17, 2009

Just Delightful

As I begin Life of Pi, I think to myself—I’m ready for a new book. I took a lot from The Things They Carried, and I hope to bring those elements of analyzing to this book. The main thing I love so far about this book is that it doesn’t seem to way you down emotionally. When Pi tells his story about the zoo life and running back and forth to the different temples or churches, you can feel the zeal in the young boy’s heart. You are excited to see what question he will ask next or what he felt during a certain experience.

Pi talks about all the animals in the zoo with such intelligence and meaning. He puts you in the cages of the animals and shows you their individuality. He shows you the close bond these animals have for one another and also for people. I really like when he makes comments about what he thinks the animals are thinking. He is making them come to life in the pages of the book.

I think by telling us about creation, the animals, he helps you step up to that point of talking about religions. If the book would have started out by talking about religion, I’m sure a lot of people would shy away or not read those parts in depth. But as I’m reading the book I get this climax of emotion learning about creation and the amazing way it all works, how the animals behave and why. It really makes you think of God and all that he has put into even the animals, let alone humans.

You almost giggle to yourself when Pi is scrambling between all these religions. He is so excited about all he is learning and his new way of praying. You can really feel the spiritual power this little boy has. When his parents and others ask him why he is doing these things, all he has to say is, “I just want to love God”. I think this story is going to bring out a lot of different experiences, emotions, and lessons in everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment