Wednesday, September 30, 2009

π + Richard Parker = God

When Pi told the alternate version of the story I cringed the whole time. It was hard for me to read. The whole time I was thinking this can not be true. I could not bare to think of Pi having to watch his mother be eaten by the cook. I hurried and plowed through it so I could just be done. I chose to believe the story of Pi and Richard Parker instead. But now the more I think about it the more I realize that there is a strong possibility that it is the one that isn't true. It is after all a little bit more realistic than being stuck with a tiger in the middle of the ocean. Even if neither of them are true it really doesn't matter to me because I know that it is not the story but the emotions and what you carry away from the story that matter. The alternate version of the story is good (I guess if you can call canabalism good). It still is missing something though. That something can be found with a boy and a tiger and God. It is full of rich symbolism and thought provoking passages that really make you question what you would do. The biggest thing that stuck out to me is how God was found. Being stuck in a life boat with Richard Parker (or without?) forced Pi to really figure out who he was and what he was all about. Somewhere in that process he found God. This is a story that will make you believe in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment