Monday, September 21, 2009

The Tiger within PI

The way Martel started the book was brilliant. For me I have a deeper understanding, and in a since love, for the character PI. I put my self in the characters position and thoughts because I can relate to him and know his background; Young, inquisitive mind, wanting to understand and know the things in this world. In a way we all can understand those things about him and ourselves. But I think we get this understanding of the character early on to be able to feel the struggle that will happen on the boat.

For me I tend to side with PI more than the tiger because that's the way Martel showed me it needs to be. Martel tells a tale of when PI's dad showed him the nature of the tiger. Where as PI is an intellectual being and has chosen religion and kindness. I find my self more sympathetic to PI knowing his background, where as I wouldn't so much if Martel started with the wreck. One thing I see Martel doing is makes comparison that the two characters are quite similar. On page 160 for example;PI is on the raft and looking at the life boat and sees Richard Parker looking back at him on the hull. He says, "Richard Parker is afraid of the sea right now. It was nearly his grave. But crazed with thirst and hunger....he will do whatever is necessary..." isn't that what Martel is telling us about PI? Martel ultimately has taught us to side with PI because of the similarities we have, but now hes throwing similarities of the 'good' character (PI) and the 'bad' character (Richard Parker).

No comments:

Post a Comment