Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mary Anne's Transformation

I was particularly moved by the story about Mary Anne. I think that this story was very deep with extremely significant meaning. It showed what experience brings. Mary Anne came as a young, innocent girl. She wore a pink sweater, with a white blouse. She was just out of high school. She probably hadn't ever thought about the jungle, or how to assemble, disassemble, or shoot an m-16, she had probably never really imagined killing someone and cutting out their tongue. Then she went to 'Nam and that all changed. She became what one has to become to survive. She found that she excelled. She became an animal. A survivor. She embodied what the war was. Young people killing other young people.
I think that it also makes a statement about sexism. As Rat said people often think of women as an innocent, soft being, incapable of violence. That women are somehow weaker. But the advantage women have over men is their sense of being. Women seem to have an innate sense of what they are, and the strange capacity to accept what themselves. This makes them stronger. Men fight against themselves. They struggle to obtain a sense of purpose, a sense of self. So in any battle they are fighting on two fronts, one on the outside, and one on the inside. Whereas a women like Mary Anne accepts what she is and focuses on the exterior.
At least that's what I pulled out of it, I'm probably wrong, and I'm not explaining myself very well, but I hope that you get my drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment